miércoles, 19 de septiembre de 2012

Leaving Las Vegas


l’ll leave the race report still on hold… leaving Las Vegas on Tuesday around midday by car we (Lu, Jaime and I) almost swam away, an enormous cloud had decided to open her doors above us and converted the streets in rivers and lakes.

Destination Death Valley, the hottest, driest and lowest location in the US, during the drive we experienced temperature changes of 17ºC, warm and rainy in Vegas, fresh on the way to death valley and then rising up to 34ºC driving down to the narrower points of the Valley. The narrow basin of Death Valley is 282 feet below sea level, aprox. 100m… We know the name Death Valley because of Wild West movies, but I haven’t really had an idea about it. There are definitely too many places in this world to read and learn about.

And my memory is special. I was here in California/Nevada/Utah 21years ago with my parents and brother, driving from San Francisco down to San Diego, then National Parks, Las Vegas and more National Parks. I remember some of them, especially some photos of this 3 week travel. I don’t remember if we have been in Death Valley, what I know: the nature, colors and size are breathtaking. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of time to stay and explore everything. Zabriskie Point was in my eyes the most amazing spot we could see, the sun dropping already…
lunch in Beatty
 Death Valley, Zabriskie Point


Some sand dunes and a coffee in Badwater saloon and heading out of the park, climbing up again observing some huge thunderstorm on the other side of the hills, as I said: everything is big here, even the lightning’s ;) Or maybe its just the free view we had and the extremely dark night that you’ll never have in Europe because there is too much light. We had a chance to look at the stairy sky for a while when we were stopped by the sherrif because of a overflowed road caused by some heavy rain that came with the thunderstorm we had seen during the drive.

End of the day in Lone Pine a small wild western style village, American Diners place for dinner and night in Dow Villa Motel to wake up the next morning and have a stunning view to Mr. Whitney, arriving at night we had no idea about the place…




Buttermilk pancakes and watered coffee for breakfast, a quick car ride towards Whithey and the funny rocks before, the way took us to Yosemite National Park, stopping at Mamooth Lakes for a good coffee, climbing up to the National park. On the park entrance I actually remembered the last time I’ve been here, or the photo. The nature of this place is indescribable. I have been here before and remember some things. I remember El Capitan, 910m of vertical rock, the water falls (if they were here, but we had been to some kind of waterfalls), well and some shorts and sweatshirts with “Yosemite” on them. I remember what I was wearing this day. But I don’t remember the Indian’s village, nor the half dome another impressive rock..
.  
 Half Dome

 Gran Capitan
 indian's hut



Taking renewed impressions with me, we headed out of Yosemite in the evening, had some sushi that seemed to be made by some 4 year old Japanese kid trying ;) and went further on the next morning to Sequoia Tree National park, where the oldest trees on earth are to find. In a small area, the big forest you can spot these auburn trees that reach an altitude up to 80m. The biggest is the General Sherman Tree, almost 85m high and a diameter of 11m on its base and 8,25m at 1,3m of altitude... even standing there we cannot capture the real size of this plant and even less the fact that some of them are almost 3000 years old. Possessing a thick bark that protects them from fire, they are an impressive example of survival modes and stunning nature’s beauty.

 The Giant Sherman Tree
 some random sequoia..
 partially burned


With these big experiences in our minds the way took us back to see level, out of high mountain scenery, back to the big city and civilization, Los Angeles. Staying in Venice this time, hanging out with my Aussie family Amanda and Luke with beach, BBQ, some souvenir shopping, a last bike ride and a bus tour through Hollywood and Beverly Hills it was the perfect finish to 16 days which again made me think about places to live or way of lives to impart…


I have my stamp for this year in my passport. Time to think about next year, hopefully America again… or another unknown destination… life is what happens when you’re planning other things for it…