lunes, 3 de septiembre de 2012

FRA-CLT-LAX, the longest friday


Ki is on the road again, or better: in the air.

It was time to get on holidays already and I was really looking forward to the flight, but there was again this strange feeling before getting on board that only happens when I travel alone. It is a mixture of why am I doing this, excitement, curiosity and relax.

I realized that for a long time I have not seen a movie I really liked. Or any movie actually. I have someone close who tells me that I am obsessed with training, well, maybe, yes. The point is not the training. The point is the training, plus work and house and other things that makes about 13 or 14h a day between leaving and coming home. And there is not a lot of time left for movies. I know that but I haven’t felt it until I started to watch “The best exotic m… hotel” which I absolutely loved. That might sound really mad when you read it. But the fact to be in a place with nothing but sleeping and watching movies felt absolutely amazing.

The past few weeks training were good, but requiring a lot of mental strength. The pool was cold many days, the bike hurt and sometimes I wasn’t able to get the averages I was meant to do. But I have discovered a run training mode which I’m not sure I have had reached before.

Since I learned to deal with Jaime’s training, the run is where I most can focus, push and hurt. And here is where I’m always curious, when I get my plan every Monday: will I be able to do that? I had some really long runs last year before IM, but I’ve never done more than 10x1000m on the track. Now I did. 13 on a Friday for lunch and 12 last Sunday brick session. I always divide the efforts, 12 are 3x4. 13 are 3x4 plus one getting back to the clinic. Every 1000 are 2,5 loops on the track, or 5 half loops. But lately I have been able not to think at all about what I still have to do. Only repetitive movement, running circles, over and over again, and in my head: white snow. 



place for no thinking



I am not sure if this is good or totally mad. It depends of the point of view. If I tell that to a “normal” person, it is totally mad. “Normal” I consider a person who doesn’t think from training to training, does no sports or some for fun.
On one hand it gives me a lot of satisfaction to accomplish these sessions I’m scared of when I see them on the plan. It feels amazing to win the battle against myself every day. Actually I think the competition is not the competition on race day. The hard part of getting better is in the day a day.
On the other hand, there are many things I let on the side, because there is no time or energy left for them. And that’s the way I’m not getting bored by being on a plane right now. Movies, sleep, write.

I have written so many posts for my blog during my training, but have never written them actually. That will change the next 2 weeks.
I have 3h left on this plane, then a taxi ride and hug Jules and catch up on things. I am excited to see my aussie family Luke and Amanda and Dan (still don’t know), next week Lu and Jaime and the race, crazy Las Vegas…
After the race I have 1 week left and I still have no idea what I will do. No plans. No stress. No schedule. 
 travelling light...
 there she goes, Frankfurt Airport...


I still dont get it: I slept 6h of this friday, got up at 6am, took the train at 7am, the first fligth at 12.30pm, got to Charlotte after 9h 45min at 4pm, 2h stay, flying out to LA at 6pm, 5h flight time, landed in LA at 8pm, got to Jules place at 9pm and there were still 3h left of that friday.... I've never been good in maths.... ;)
Arriving to LA, 25min lights, lights, lights... stunning!