jueves, 31 de marzo de 2011

Back in Noosa

I’m back in Noosa after my 2 weeks adventure travel towards the south and west from my base camp here in Sunshine Coast.  Back in Noosa and back in normal training routine, after some days of only running in Alice Springs due to a broken pool…
Noosa national park

First here was food shopping, and I have to say: I love Australian supermarkets. At least the products, not so much the prices, but what can I do? Lots of local (!!) fresh veggies and fruit, even the normal products wear the label “Australian made”, so it’s easy to behave environmentally correct in this country. In general I see more natural products here than in Spain and not so many precooked and refined stuff. That supposes better dates in weight statistics, but no, I had a look on some numbers: comparing Germany, Spain and Australia, Australia has the highest index of obesity in men (25,6%), but the lowest in overweight (men and women). Spanish women lead in obesity (21,5%)  and overweight (32,2%), German men in overweight (45,5%). In children’s statistics Spain leads before Australia and Germany.
 I definitely see less overweight children here than in Spain and I’ve seen something I’ve never seen before: Sunscreen distribution in the girls changing room! Some 7 year old girls applying sunscreen (factor 30) to each other. They  grow up with the conscience of the ozone hole and too many cases of skin cancer… and the sun is really strong here! I’ve never tanned so quickly, even with factor 30. I think you can imagine how stupid the tan line on your forehead can look after a swim with a swim cap on?
Well, what I’m basically doing here is training. Swim, bike, run; every day. And I’m starting to harvest the fruits of it. It’s good to see how the body adapts (slowly) to what you’re requiring. And at the moment it’s the one thing I’m focused on. I was hesitating about do more traveling before the Sydney race, but time goes by quickly and I’ll stay here on the Sunshine Coast, training and doing some tourism around here. After Sydney I’ll go towards north, for diving and adventure. Still not sure about the final plan, but I’ll figure it out.
The “work” I’m doing here is quite physical, but also mental. I came to Australia to disconnect and find myself and I’m really finding myself. It’s interesting; it’s hard and annoying sometimes. During the training I’m happy, that’s why I’m getting up at 5a.m. almost every day, because it’s what I “have to do”. But later in the day I start to struggle sometimes by being alone so much. It’s easy to say: go out, meet people.  My first experience about that was in Melbourne when I observed people there. I do go out. And Aussies are really communicative people you can get into a chat with. It’s all about self confidence. My lovely friend Matt told me: don’t care what people think of you. And I try, but that’s me. I cannot not care. I’m getting better, but it’s a continuous internal fight with me. At the end I think this makes me stronger.
There’s no one who pushes me, no one who tells me what to do. It doesn’t matter if I do or don’t do something. But I do it. I’m pushing me to do it.
I went out yesterday evening. First try: a bar I’ve read about in the Lonely Planet. I find myself sitting at the bar with a drink, no people around at all, but the bartenders to chat with. They are kind of funny. The rest of the clients are from another generation than I am… Next try: surf club. My idea: cool, young, funny surf people. So I walk in there and…  what’s that? That’s so not the clients I’ve expected here! My dad would be comfortable here, but that’s not the plan! I start to laugh about myself. But I don’t give up and drive to the other surf club down in Sunshine beach, walk in there, thinking: all good things come in threes. I take a deep breath and put together all my self confidence and my pretty me and… NOTHING. I’m sure even in the local golf club are younger people hanging around. That’s unfair. So I went to the wine shop, got a bottle of red and went home with a Pinot Noir.
I’m becoming aware of what it means to have an established social network where you’re living. I had one in Spain and I’ll have to build up a new one once I’m back in Germany. But honestly, I think it will be easier there than down under, because:
If you are settled in a place you are able to build a stable social network, I experienced that in Germany and later in Spain. It takes time, but once it started you don’t even notice how it is growing. Over here I am one in a million who come and go. I have a different focus on things here than “my” triathlon people. I’m training and enjoying it, but there’s more for me to discover and to do. Go out e.g.  And for me, Triathlon is not a job, for most people here it is. I think I can’t just expect them to change their routines and care about an average age grouper girl that stays here for vacation. And I don’t expect it at all.
There are a few lovely ones who dedicate some of their time and make me feel a little bit important, or less unimportant…  I had a beautiful BBQ with them last Saturday.

I think if I wouldn’t have a social network elsewhere, I’d definitely drive nuts. The longer I stay here, more I’m looking forward to be surrounded by my family and close friends. I miss them, but t to know that I have them is my emotional survival kit.
Summary:
-          Friends are priceless
-          Family is grounding you
-          Most people are married or in a relationship
-          I don’t know if I want to get married
-          Australia has the most amazing starry sky I’ve ever seen
-     I'm getting faster
And
-          A good girl’s chat  is soul healing!
Special thanks to Jutta, Lu and Jules ;) you made my day!






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario