domingo, 13 de marzo de 2011

4,5 days in Sydney

Before I start to write about Melbourne where I am right now, some impressions of Sydney where I spent the last 4 days. I departed on Wednesday 9th March from Maroochydore Airport, Sunshine coast to Sydney, 1,5h flight, everything perfect. Actually, when I arrived to the baggage claim my bike was already waiting for me, first “+” for Sydney ;)
I took the city train (and have to say: best indications I’ve ever seen! You can’t get lost), went up the darling point road and found the hidden keys after about 10 phone calls with Alice… I spent the afternoon walking around Darling Point, having a sandwich and coffee in the park and catching the first views of Harbour bridge. Up the hill again to meet Alice to take me to a sailing trip on a F40 (I so have no idea of sailing). Sometimes the Australian accent is hard to get, but be sure: if these guys talk about something you don’t know it’s even harder. But I found out quite quickly when the command was “stand by”, change boat side, otherwise you get wet J There were some breaks on the trip to have some “bubbles” and later some red, well plenty of red… was good fun! Oh: and I got my motivation back by a nice day off, thinking about different things but triathlon.

Thursday I was supposed to ride, but a flat front tire and particularly a broken tire decided for me that there was no ride in the morning. So I went down to double bay, jumped on the ferry to the city; more views and good ones of the opera house:

I spent some time in just wondering around, get impressions of the city, there is heaps of people jogging around, having business conversations during their run! Went to buy a new tire, oh talking about that: there's a huge bike shop on Clarence St, with a girls bike shop just next door, heaven! I met Alice who showed me how to get to the pool, the Andrew Boy Charlton pool, cross the Royal Botanic gardens, I joined the swim squad in the salty pool, time on 100m after 3000 swim: 1’31’’18, not too bad I think for 50m pool.

I spent some more time in the city went home, dinner with Alice flat mates and a beer with Jimmy who came over from Adelaide for Huskisson Tri. So nice to meet him after long time, good chat and lovely evening.
Friday morning I got a lesson in sportiness. Innocent me, went down to the park at 6 am to do my run before it’s getting too hot. Just for the record: In Marbella everybody out ofTriathlon world thinks we are crazy getting up at 6 to swim at 6.30am. Well, you have no idea. I reached the park and was shocked! Jogger traffic jam!! Big groups with their drill instructor doing boot camp training with running, boxing, pushups and whatever; tons of people walking their dogs… this city is vigorexic! Maybe it annoys me because my training is nothing special anymore in these surroundings??
Anyway, after successful effort training and a shower I had my first bike experience in Sydney, riding to Bondi beach to meet Jimmy for a coffee. It is scary! The cars aren’t very respectful, which surprises me quite a lot, being in this super sporty city…
Another swim in the ABC pool this afternoon followed by another walk through the gardens and a photo session with some funny boys (or girls?)…
flying foxes


…and a lovely, so lovely dinner at Nina’s house in Bondi Beach. Thanks to Facebook I knew that she’s living here, otherwise I wouldn’t have had an idea. We haven’t met in at least 10 years I think and it was a gorgeous night, laughing a lot and having a great time! Thanks for dinner, Nina, we should definitely repeat that when I’m back in Sydney in April!
Saturday morning. The most scary bike experience ever. I’ve written about my thought towards bunch rides, but didn’t know that there was even an increase of it! But there is: you meet at 6am, it’s still dark outside. You don’t have a light.  You start to cycle, people catching up the bunch and then you find yourself in the middle of a highway at 40km/h cars on you left and right sometimes driving by at 80 or 100 and you have to keep up with the group, otherwise would be even worse. I don’t know if my heart rate was around 180 because of the speed or the panic, would have been fun to see my face J But I worked my a… off. At least I’m getting fast over here, well, I hope I do!
This afternoon we went on to a more relaxing activity: watching sailing race 18 footers, funny boats, I’ve never seen them. I actually cannot believe that I’m so ignorant about sailing, having a sailor daddy. I quickly sorted out my favorite team, the only guys who went with the same competition gear, and white visors, point for me: they won the race ;-)
Last night in Sydney, Alice and I joined some more girls on a really beautiful boat, having some red and pizza… Nice life though!

For everybody who loves awesome views (unfortunately I don’t have photos, because – what else – I was training): Go to the costal walk down in Bondi. I did a run down there on Sunday morning, 450 stairs one way, so 900 in totals, not what I was supposed to do but a pretty place to run or walk.
And that was it, bye bye Sydney, and heading to Melbourne who welcomes me with a chilly, rainy evening. But it doesn’t matter, I’m tired, enjoy my hotel with a wardrobe…
And this morning the blue sky gave me the proper welcome. That’s all for now, Melbourne’s waiting for me J

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario