domingo, 10 de abril de 2011

Influences...

I’m back in Sydney, for the first race of this season, ITU Dextro Energy Worl Championship Series on Sunday 10th april.
I’m staying again at Alice house, which picked me up from the airport last night. She went on a sailing race this morning, so I accompanied her for breakfast in the park next to, and then to the yacht club where they started the race. I cannot help but think of my “Papa” with all these sailing boats around. He was and is again a sailor, loves the water and enjoys to race. Actually he was sailing when I was born, but I don’t know if he won???
Around midday I put together my bike (again) and headed over to Centennial park to spin around a bit. While I was riding one lap after the other, my mind went around the people who I think made me what I am. People who are in my life since I can think (and before) and those who were in it and left it again, but left their undeletable footprint. (just for the record: the order doesn’t mean more or less important, it’s more a chronological thing)
My dad: the sailor and always sportsman, competitor and challenger. When I was younger I always achieved NOT to get into a competitive situation, I made a lot of sports, but none of them a competitive one. There was ballet, gymnastics, climbing, karate, later gym stuff like aerobics, I was skiing, but switched to snowboard as soon as I could, some tennis almost not to mention… He is the one who thinks in the categories better, faster, longer. I hated it. I always tried to be or do the complete opposite of that. Until I quit smoking (and I was a bad smoker for those of you who only know me for the last couple of years). He’s responsible for my love for traveling and diving, he took us to this other world in a rough phase of our life. I still enjoy the peaceful  and calming noise of the bubbles under water.

My brother: He was and is always on my side no matter what. He shared the most important fates with me, although we faced them everyone in his very personal way. We did so many stupid things together when we were still living in Rückersdorf, we shared friends (he knew the cute boys from the sports club), holidays, parties… He signed in as well when I signed up for my first Ironman distance. We raced 3 together, in 2008 we missed crossing the finish line by only 20 seconds (dammit). We are preparing Austria, on the opposite sites of mother planet, but very united. He is one of the biggest multitalented persons I know.
My mom: her days seemed to have 36 hours. She was always away but always there. And I miss her every single day.
Frau Seiler, my second mom: the responsible for my organized wardrobe, that I know how to iron, cook and clean by being hours and hours on her side, talking to her and observing. She’s the person who grounded me. Hard-working, caring, loving and never complaining. I loved playing at her parents’ farm in the granary and I loved sleeping at her place, they had a heated blanket. She took me to the country fair, to harvest sherries and plums and made the best cakes and Christmas cookies I know.

Nanni, my dad’s youngest sister. She asks you the uncomfortable questions when you need to decide something. She made me feel what “home” is when mine broke apart. A challenging conversation partner and I love the memories of our smoking, drinking and chatting nights until 5am. Man we smoked a lot! I admire her way to manage her family. They are for me the perfect family, not that they were perfect, but the way they face problems and work them out together is.

Micha: he always knew what he wanted and went for it. He had big influence in the way I faced my studies and career. Always thinking in what comes next, the next step that takes you to the next goal. He went abroad for studies, internships and work to enrich his CV and so did I. He supported me in so many different ways. And I love him for that. We had the biggest dancing nights together, loads of crazy driving and awesome holidays. He formed my preferences for movies, TV shows (but NOT startrek) and music.
Pablo: He infected me with the cureless triathlon fever. He showed me how to run faster, he was on my side on my first half marathon and marathon. We shared so many unforgettable moments and finish lines. And he was my couple, housemate, training partner, colleague and best friend and he loved me so much. We had it all. But all was still not enough for me and I’m deeply sorry for that.

And there are all my friends who shared and still share moments and memories with me and I’m looking forward to be a bit closer to some of them again. And I’m sad to leave some of them behind, but I’ll be back ;)



1 comentario:

  1. What a nice hommage to your family and friends. I love it and I remember all the fun times we had together as kids and some secrets we share. Good times when we were hiding in your attic just so I didn't have to go home with my parents... when we started smoking and many other things. :)

    ResponderEliminar