martes, 26 de abril de 2011

Cairns' Characters

Cairns, probably the best time I had in Australia, switching to low budget accommodation or no budget accommodation (last blog) and parking my triathlon me for some days on a shelf, turning on the party me. I came to Cairns after my Sydney race on Tuesday 12th April and had planned to stay until Sunday or Monday. It turned into the other Sunday and I changed plans 100 times while I was there.
My home in Cairns was beautiful, caring and lovely Travellers Oasis, a backpackers place with tons of charm, funny paintings all over the place, a small salt water pool and 3 different little houses where you find your 3 bedroom dorm for a quiet sleep (or more intimate rooms if you pay a bit more). Not too big and not too small. You also find two kitchens, several bathrooms and showers and for triathlon weirdos like I am a storeroom where you can let your bike without any worries.

It is totally easy to meet people in these places, everyone is travelling alone; and Cairns has a special atmosphere, a small city with a beautiful climate and good vibes. I met loads of people and spent some more time with the following special characters:
Ben half Italian half American, 37, lives in London. Ben is an engineer working on projects as a freelancer, travelling for several months in between. He lives in London, good dancer, fantastic to characterize people around with. He doesn’t understand why women love the Twilight character Edward ;)

Jakob (twenty something), Denmark, bachelor finished, master to initiate. Very handsome fellow, good runner, but lazy ;)

Lewis (twenty something), Canada, studies engineer. Healthy guy, good dancer and quite mature and funny. Travels for several months as well. I’ll probably re meet him on Fraser Island.

Scott, 23, from some boring village near Cambridge/United Kingdom. Worked in retail in a stationary shop with mostly 50 year old women. A massive talker and so incredibly funny, that he should run a comedy show. Cooks all his meals, doesn’t tan (British skin) and should focus on his legs as well in the gym.
Scott was my first contact at Traveller’s Oasis, we shared a room, and now he’s working there for free accommodation. I might be wrong, but I think this guy has talent. You can’t imagine how funny can be a story about a flight with Air china and a meal on Taipei’s airport where he got served an egg which was actually brown, not white anymore, out of this ridiculous british mouth, I love it!
Scott, keep on writing your journal, you’ll need it for you show!

John, 31, Wales/United Kingdom. Works at Travellers Oasis, philosophy: work 4 years, travel 4 years. Laughed a lot with him, he liked seeing me messed up in Cairns. Anything you want to know about trips and information around Cairns, ask him! You might also see him dancing (on tables?) @ The woolshed ;) I didn’t see him by myself, but I’m pretty sure you can have a big night out with this mate.


Tobbe, 21, Sweden. One of the most relaxed and easy people I’ve met. He wants to study photography. So sweet. I actually have no idea if he has a girlfriend, but girls: watch out for this one, he’s a catch!

Marius, 26, Norway. Marius is a social worker, good photographer and I saw him as a philanthropist. He loves his job (I hope I can say that one day too). He was good for me in the way that he made me see again that it is not important how fast I swim, bike or run or if I have abs or not. I mean, I know that it’s not about that, but in this sporty world I moved for quite a bit in the last months it is easy to lose focus on what really counts. You see Marius and see this bad guy image, big piercings and tattoos, but behind that bad boy image you find a beautiful, lovely and caring person who has perfectly found his place in the world I think. Something I’m still looking for.


I am so happy that I met all these people and they made my time in Cairns unforgettable. I had great days and big nights out, got messed up, drunk and danced on tables. I needed that for my mental health, even if it’s a bit difficult right now to get back into a normal training routine. It feels a bit like leaving Cairns was the end of my long holidays; it was definitely one of the best parts and I want to come back. Maybe next year, race Challenge Cairns, store the bike and go for diving and party. Or just come back without a bike, to enjoy the city, the reef and the people. You’re gorgeous!


PS: I have to mention another character: "goon", supposed to be wine, but there are some ugly ingredients in it...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario